I am posting a project for you today. I made a few of for the website (all SOLD) and thought that my creative readers may like to try for themselves. Please, for personal use only. Thank you to my dear friend in Australia, Gail McCormack for allowing me to use her images, which are not for share....but these will work with any images, scraps, ephemera that you may have. Enjoy feathering your nest with these:
These Blissful Bird Baskets have been crafted from simple peat pots and make for a festive table accent when grouped together. Fill with candies and let your guests take them home as party favors. Wrap in cellophane and tie with pretty ribbons: they make sweet and inexpensive gifts for any occasion :
3” square peat pots
White primer spray or brush paint, or gesso medium
Pale acrylic craft paint
Decoupage glue and sealer
Seam binding or lightweight pastel ribbon
Paper shred to fill baskets
1. Begin by priming both the inside and outside of the peat pot with your choice of primer paint or white gesso. For our project we used white spray primer, but any primer will do. You can give your peat pot a second coat if desired with a pale toned acrylic paint. We chose a pale pink for our baskets.
2. Once the paint is dry, cut out two holes on opposite sides of your basket about ½” down with the hole puncher. These will be where you wrap your tinsel for the basket handles, so try and keep them evenly spaced.
3. Cut out a bird image to fit the front of your basket and adhere with decoupage glue. Be sure to press out any air bubbles with your fingers. Once dry, seal the image with the same clear glue. You may wish to give the image a second coat if necessary.
4. Hot glue paper flowers on both sides of the basket. We layered our flowers for dimension.
5. Cut an 8” piece of wired tinsel for the handle. Insert the tinsel from the outside of the basket to the inside and tie or wrap a knot on the inside to hold the handle in place. A dab of hot glue over the knot will keep the handle from pulling out.
6. Fashion bows with seam binding or other lightweight ribbon on the handle at the top. For a festive look feel free to embellish with small butterflies, buttons or other pieces from your craft stash.
7. Fill your basket with pretty paper shred and add your assortment of scrumptious candy treats.